I hope you are doing well. I want to introduce myself and invite you to support my campaign. My name is Maggie Douglas, and I am running for the Nebraska State Board of Education in District 2. I will share my educational background, my work experience, and why I am pursuing a role in public service.
My educational journey began in Scottsbluff Public Schools. Following my high school graduation, I moved to Omaha and earned a bachelor’s degree in elementary education at Creighton University. My quest for knowledge led me to UNO and UNL, where I explored secondary and math education. My passion for helping people drove me to earn a master’s degree in clinical mental health counseling from UNO. Throughout my career, I gained valuable experiences in parochial (five years) and public schools (ten years). I had the privilege of working with hundreds of students, families, and dedicated teachers. Currently, I am involved in various educational roles: substitute teacher, supervisor of student teachers for UNO, and instructor of basic arithmetic at Metropolitan Community College. These experiences have deepened my understanding of the education system and reinforced my commitment to ensuring equitable and accessible education for all students.
I firmly believe that every student, no matter where they come from or their life situation, should have the resources they need to learn and succeed. I will work hard to learn the unique needs of our school districts. I am confident that my life experiences, knowledge, and professional background have prepared me to advocate for equitable and accessible education for all Nebraskans.
Thank you for taking the time to learn more about me and my aspirations. I am excited for this opportunity to contribute to the betterment of our community and the education of all Nebraskans. I look forward to meeting you!
Equity and Access for All Students
- All students deserve equitable access to quality education, regardless of a student’s background or location
- Support initiatives to reduce achievement gaps and improve outcomes for all students, regardless of students’ background or location
Teacher Support and Teacher Retention
- Promote policies that attract and retain talented teachers
- Bridge and support needs of our school’s teachers to support them in meeting the needs of their students
Parent and Community Engagement
- Encourage partnerships between schools, parents, and communities to enhance student success
- Promote transparency and communication between the board of education and the public
Curriculum and Standards
- Work to ensure that state curriculum standards are rigorous, up-to-date, and meet the needs of all students
- Support efforts to incorporate diverse perspectives, representation, and experiences into the curriculum
Safe and Inclusive Schools
- Advocate for policies that create safe and inclusive learning environments for all students
- Advocate for inclusive education practices that support the needs and learning of all students
- Support anti-bullying initiatives and mental health resources and access in schools
- Work to secure adequate and equitable funding to ensure special education services are accessible